A Valuable Resource for Home Caregivers
If you are one of the approximately 53.4 million Americans who are providing care for someone with a disability or chronic illness, you know that the job of caregiving comes with its fair share of anxiety and unanswered questions.
Most home caregivers aren’t medical professionals, and they may feel overwhelmed, confused, and inexperienced when it comes to dealing with the health issues that are facing their loved one. They may feel isolated and at a loss for where to turn for answers or support.
Guiding Lights Caregiver Support Center is located in Raleigh, NC and is a valuable resource, especially to the more than 840,000 residents of North Carolina who are caregivers. In addition to providing much-needed support to people who live nearby, their online resources and training can be equally helpful for those living in other areas of the country.
- Guiding Lights’ “Awakenings” program offers customized support for individuals with dementia and their caregivers.
- Staff at Guiding lights can give personally tailored referrals to meet the needs of caregivers in Wake, Durham, and Orange Counties.
- The Guiding Lights Lending Library is free to caregivers and offers access to books, videos, and many online caregiving tools and websites.
- The support center also offers onsite training in the use of personal care equipment such as hospital beds, wheelchairs and walkers, blood pressure measurement equipment, and dressings.
- Caregivers can take classes in CPR and First Aid.
- Guiding Lights connects caregivers individually or through support groups.
- The Guiding Lights website contains a comprehensive list of online resources compiled to offer caregivers information in areas as varied as Alzheimer’s’ and dementia, Medicare, senior living options, veteran assistance, and safety and legal issues impacting seniors.
- Caregivers can listen to past recordings of the “Caring Connections” radio show, whose goal is to “educate listeners to improve the quality of life for families, professional caregivers, and people afflicted with chronic conditions.”
- Guiding Lights offers an online dementia training course that is free to home caregivers.
Without a doubt, home caregivers face a daunting task. The purpose of Guiding Lights is to give those who are serving in this selfless role the resources to find their job more rewarding and less frightening.
Visit the Davis Community’s Assisted Living and SNF in Wilmington NC
If you or loved one are no longer capable of living a safe, independent lifestyle, then call the Davis Community today at 910.686.7195 or simply complete and submit our online information! request form. We provide exceptional assisted living and skilled nursing services in Wilmington NC with a strong and supportive environment where your loved one will feel welcomed and part of an active community. Get to know the difference today – schedule a visit to the Davis Community!